Sunday, May 26, 2013

It Could Have Been Me- I didn't know what I was thinking

I heard the crunching of what seemed to be rocks while Pito was driving. It was dark, all I could see was what the headlights were gleaming at. To me it was like looking into a peek hole but with pain. My eyes were swollen, wet from the tears and blood dripping down my cheeks and on my clothes. My nose was full of mucous and blood. His quietness scared me and he was taking me somewhere that seemed familiar but my head was pounding and I couldn't focus. All of a sudden he stops the car. "Don't fucking move until I tell you too, he faked punched me, I screamed. "Noooo!" He came close to my face and said "Ima kill you bitch!"

Earlier that day, he woke up in one of his moods, I stayed in bed as long as I could so he won't bother me, but since the bedroom was off the kitchen people were making noise and talking loud. I noticed that when he walked out of the room everyone became silent. A few minutes later he walked back into the room with a bowl of cereal, froot loops, that was his favorite cereal. Then he turned on the television and put up the volume laughing loudly at some television show. He was not concerned that I could have been asleep. Although I was up, I wanted to stay low until I figured out his mood, it was difficult as he was a ticking bomb, I got up from the bed, put on my sweatpants and a button down shirt to look at least decent when I stepped out of the room. I smiled at him and said goodmorning while opening the bedroom door. As I exited out of the room, I saw his mom cooking, his sister smoking a cigarette on the kitchen table and my first boyfriend, Nando and his girlfriend, Mari sleeping in the livingroom. I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and take a shower. As usual I tried to make the best of my morning, as I was taking a shower, I prayed to God to help me out of this situation. I didn't quite know why I was there. I knew I didn't love him but I felt almost like I could save him. Although I was just shy of 18 years old, and I sacrificed being without my family, I thought that for some reason, I could save this man. During my shower, after my prayer and a few tears shed, I started singing. This is something that I normally do in the shower to help my stress. I was singing a freestyle song. All of a sudden The warm water turned freezing cold and when I looked up, It was Pito laughing at me. I screamed, "You scared the shit out of me!" With his arm, he grabbed me by the hair and whispered, "Why are you singing? You want Nando to hear you sing, you trying to impress him?" He had my hair so tight that I thought he ripped off my hair from my head. I asked him too please let go of my hair as I was trembling from head to toe. he told me to sit on the toilet until he told me to get up. He didn't even give me a towel to dry myself.  he said to me "when I finish taking a shower and dry myself with your towel, cuz I forgot mine, then you can dry yourself." I just looked at him, and he smiled. after the shower, we left the bathroom and walked with me to the room. I couldn't look anywhere else.

That evening he went for a bike ride. He told me not to leave the room and hid my car keys. I was relieved that he left. I made some calls to my best friends Janae and Conchita. Janae was seeing Pito's cousin although he was on and off with his girlfriend. Janae knew my struggle and was concerned about me because she knew my family and kepted telling me that my mom was very sad that she has not seen me. "Have you called your mom dude? I said, "No, I don't want to hear it from her." I didn't know on why I was being rebellious with my family. Sometimes I lied to Janae so she wouldn't worry about me and tell my family that I was fine. I hung up in a hurry as soon as I heard his voice. I laid down in the bed and turned on the television. it was around 8pm, he stormed into the bedroom and told me he was taking my car. "Why?" I asked, he said "Because I'm going to do something, "Like what? I'll go with you." He laughed and told me, "No! I then argued with him because I did not want him to take my car. We argued back and forth until he slapped me across my face so hard that I fell on the bed. I was angry, I knew that he was going to utilize my car to hang out with some friends. I didn't care about him going out but I worked hard for that car and was the only thing I owned. While he was taking a shower I hid the keys in the sole of my sneakers. After he got dressed put on some cologne, he looked for my car keys and asked me where I hid them. I pretended to be calm and pretended I was into a television show. I said to him, "You hid them, I don't know where you put them." But he found them, looked at me and left.

It was now around 12:30am. I got dressed and left the house on foot looking for my car. because he had recently put headers on them, I could hear the car from a half a mile away. I walked at least 2 miles in the Parkchester, Castle Hill area in the Bronx. I heard the car and it was coming my way. there was a woman in the front seat, his bestfriend's and another woman in the back seat. I knew where he was going so I ran several blocks to bust him. I was sweating and I didn't care. I thought to myself, he had some bitch in my car! As soon as I got to his destination, I watched him and was trying o figure out a way to get in the car and take my keys. That's was the plan. I didn't know what I was thinking.


No comments:

Post a Comment